Washington DC has become one of our favorite places to go. We have been several times over the past 4 years and still manage to see something new every time we go. This time we were able to go on a tour of the White House (thanks to our awesome friend with connections, Brittany). It was neat to go in the White House, but I’m not sure it was worth the wait. We waited almost 2 hours in line and went through 3 security checks. Because of the security restrictions we decided not to take Lily in with us. They don’t allow you to take practically ANYTHING with you. And since we weren’t able to get a close parking spot we had to have Lily’s stuff with us. Luckily Cameron and Haley went with us and took Lily and her bag while we went on the tour. After all the waiting, we went through the tour pretty fast. We were in and out in less than 15 minutes. We probably didn’t get as much out of it as we could have, but now we can say we were cool enough to be in the White House, so I guess it was worth it.
We got to see the Vermeil room, China Room, and go in the East Room, Green Room, Blue Room, Red Room, and the State Dining Room. It was all beautiful with priceless paintings on the walls and the finest furnishings. We took pictures with Matt’s phone on the other side of the fence so I’ll see if I can get those from him later.
The Cherry Blossom Festival was going on the same day. IT WAS CRAZY! There were so many people, vendors everywhere, and hardly any cherry blossoms. We were bummed about the blossoms but it was still fun.
Not really sure what these guys were doing but we documented it nonetheless.
To get away from the crowds, we went to the Renwick Gallery. There was a neat gallery of artwork done by the people in the Japanese American Interment Camps. And my favorite piece was the Ghost Clock by Wendell Castle. The linen looks so real even though the whole thing is carved and bleached mahogany. Amazing.
We also went to the top of the Old Post Office Tower. The view was spectacular!
The Cherry Blossom Crowds. Insane.
Matt and his girl.
We were all crammed in this elevator. Haley wasn’t the only one a little nervous about the ride.
Shortly after that picture was taken Lily decided that she wanted nothing to do with the Baby Bjorn. She cried and cried until we took her out. I ended up carrying her the 2+ miles back to our car so she could sleep. Needless to say, my arms were a little sore the next day. Along with the rest of my body. We figured out that we walked somewhere around 8 miles that day. That’s one way to work off the baby fat :)
So after our long, busy day (we were up and going at 4am and didn’t get home till almost 10pm) we ended on a good note with my favorite meatballs from IKEA.


2 comments:
That clock is all carved!? Crazy! Glad you had a great time. I wish I could say I've been in the white house. As long as Obama isn't in their the same time as me. :)
You really had to wait two hours!? That is crazy and I feel horrible! It must have been b/c of the cherry blossoms. Usually the wait is more like 10 minutes. I'm glad you had someone to watch Lily. She is sure a cutie!
Post a Comment