Sunday, August 03, 2008

Whale Watching in Boothbay

In Boothbay we took the Pink Lady II out past the harbor to see some whales. This was probably my favorite part of our whole trip. It was so neat to see finback whales up close. We also saw quite a few seals.









While we were looking in the tidepools along the coasts of Maine, Matt really wanted to find sea stars. But he never found any. As we were walking onto the boat there were big sea stars on the wooden poles. Who knew it would be that easy?!?
Once we were out of the harbor, the guide told us to keep our eyes open for anything. If anyone saw anything, they would yell it out and the Captain would take the boat in that direction. He would try to get ahead of the whales and then turn the engine down. We would sit and wait for the whale to come up again. It was such a cool experience.













The finback whale is the second largest whale. We mostly just saw the little fin on the top of their bodies, even though there was so much more of them under the water. There were a few times we were able to see the white under their mouths. Unfortunately, the finback doesn't show off its tail so I wasn't able to get any pictures. They said humpback whales are the ones that like to show off. It was still really cool and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
The girls decided it was a silly idea to do our hair that morning since any efforts were squashed by the amount of humidity in the air. (My hair was straight when we left the hotel)

4 comments:

The Fifes said...

The whales are incredible! I know I've said it before, but it is such a magical thing to see animals in their wild habitats. So glad you were able to go on the whale watching adventure!

Ann said...

You can speak whale!? Man I wish I could speak whale! :)

Haley and Cameron Roberts said...

That is SO cOOL! I love sea stars too!...seriously the east coast is insane with humidity.

Jessica said...

COOL!!! What a neat experience, sounds a little scarey... were you scared they would tip the Pink Lady over? j/k You're hair is so curly! May as well embrase the humidity with those gorgeous curls.