Saturday, August 02, 2008

Road Trip - Boothbay Harbor

We drove down the coast of Maine to Boothbay Harbor. On the drive we went over this really interesting bridge. The suspension was in the middle. None of us had ever seen a bridge like that before.












We stayed at Cap'n Fish's Waterfront Inn. It wasn't the greatest place to stay - but the name won us over, and they had discount tickets on Whale Watching rides so we couldn't pass it up. The Inn was located on the opposite side of the harbor than most of the restaurants and shopping. Luckily there was a footbridge that we took advantage of multiple times. The coolest part was the house that was at the center of the footbridge, right in the middle of the water. At lowtide we could see all the stilts it was standing on. I don't think I could live in a place like that.
While we were in Maine, we figured it would be worth it to try Maine lobster, since that's what the state is famous for. We stopped at the Lobster Dock and got the smallest lobster so we could share. None of us had ever eaten lobster before so Jason was the brave one and asked the nice cook how one would go about eating one. The cook kind of stared at him then said, "Oh, I'll crack the tail for you." Still unsure, Jason asked again what parts of the lobster were eaten. The cook then told him all the parts of the lobster that you eat. When our lobster came, there was a paper that told us in detail how to get at all the meat of the lobster. I guess Jason didn't need to ask after all :)
The lobster eating started out OK. We (Matt and Jason) got into the claws, which I thought weren't too bad - the melted butter helped. Then it all went downhill for me when they got into the tail meat. It was a lot different texture, not soft like the claw. I bit down...and all it did was squish between my teeth. That was it. I quickly took it back out of my mouth and handed it to Matt and he and Jason finished the rest of the lobster while Candice and I made grossed out faces as they tried each part. Now we can say that we (except for Candice) have tried Maine lobster. And none of us were overly impressed.
We got some ice cream and hot dogs after the lobster, can't go wrong with the classics. Candice was very excited about hers, she had a cut up waffle in the bottom. Later, we tried the exciting game of candlepin bowling. There were ten skinny, tall pins and softball-sized balls. It was fun, especially since the building was so old it seemed to be caving in on the sides. And our lane was anything but level, so it was a good thing we got three chances to knock the pins down.
After the game, the guys played a good game of Big Buck Safari. Ahh yeah!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous...Maine has always been on my list of places to go but I never made it up there. Someday...

Maybe you got a scrawny little lobster because it should have been a wonderful sensation in you mouth as the meat and butter melt together and caress your tongue lovingly!

Hayley Neil said...

Wow Cami! You guys are going to some beautiful places and it looks like you are having a blast! I am jealous for sure! That lobster looks disgusting!

The Fifes said...

YUMMY! The looks say it all Ü

Ann said...

At least you tried it, you can't go all that way and not try the food the area is known for. Here in Utah all we have is......um..... jello? I know pretty lame!

Haley and Cameron Roberts said...

Lobster looks yummy............i guess i'll have to try it

Jessica said...

Good job with the lobster, some of those expensive "delacasies" are hard to understand sometimes... I haven't ever been brave (or rich) enough to try it myself.
I like the picture of Candice holding her ice cream, no suprise she didn't try the lobster. ;)