It has become apparent that I may have chosen poorly in my camera body choice. I have wanted a fixed 50mm lens for a while now. I looked around and thought I had done enough research to know that what I was getting would work. Well, the lens came and I was very disappointed to find out that the lens does not have auto focus. I'm still an amatuer when it comes to manual focus so it has been a challenge to get the picture
s I want. I have done more googling and found out that this lens only works with the higher end SLRs. So I either have to deal with the manual focus, return it and get a $400 lens that will work with my camera and has autofocus, or ...upgrade to a better camera ;) [I don't think that last one would fly with Matt] But the thing about the canon camera is you can get the same lens for $30 less with an autofocus motor inside. Why did I have to go with the more expensive camera body?!? Now I have to deal with more expensive lenses and less choices on what I can do with my D40x. hummph.
I still haven't totally decided what I'm going to do, but it looks like I'm probably going to return the lens I got. Why do hobbies have to be so expensive.


3 comments:
Oh poor me, my oober nice camera is only semi oober nice. My pictures are already amazing, but I have to have better. Oh and my diamond shoes are too tight! Just kidding, I love you cam!
If you need to dump that lens I know someone who has wanted that same lens for quite some time...hint, hint. In fact I have been re-researching that very lens this past week.
Sorry you did not realize that the D40 (and D60) can only use lenses that have internal auto-focus motors. I feel a little bit responsible for your initial purchase. Sorry
I still think you have an awesome camera.
oh - and jill says hello and she misses you.
That sucks! I have that Canon lens and it's my favorite(only $50... not to rub it in). BUT it's kind of funny to me because I have on several occasions wished I had bought a Nikon, let me give you some of the reasons why:
1. better in low light
2. better flash systems
3. more rugged (with the metal connectors for the lenses, while mine has plastic)
4. you can adjust your flash compensation
5. more AF points
I don't remember the rest, I try not to think about it.
Hope that makes you feel better!! Good luck convincing Matt you need that other lens.
Post a Comment