Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Be Our Guest

We’ve never liked the dull gray/white carpet in this room. Or the lovely floral wallpaper. So, one Wednesday afternoon near the end of August, Matt decided he wanted to see what the floor looked like underneath. August 30, 2012_11450

It turned out to be a pretty big job getting all that carpet up. Because of the roundness of the room, there were tack strips and staples along every inch to try to keep the carpet straight.

August 30, 2012_11457August 30, 2012_11463August 30, 2012_11461

A few trips to Lowe’s and we picked this rich Mahagony brown in a flat finish. We chose to try painting over the wallpaper rather than strip it off. With these old plaster walls the likelihood is high that we would uncover cracks (or make new ones in the process). You can still see the wallpaper seams and a few cracks already there but I think the flat paint helps. We had the red rug in the girls room but it looks much better in here.

September 05, 2012_11511

The inside of the fireplace has some pretty special bricks ;)

September 05, 2012_11517

We went a little crazy at TJ Maxx (LOVE that place!). Here is the finished product. We bought the dressers, and the little piano stool next to the bed, from the previous owner. Pretty much everything else was bought at TJ Maxx, Ross, or Bed Bath and Beyond.

September 18, 2012_11715

Originally, the plan was to only paint the mantle and hearth of the fireplace but then decided to paint the whole thing. I like this much better.

September 18, 2012_11724

A smorgisborg of owls

September 18, 2012_11726

I’m in love with those chairs. We lucked out that they were the exact match to the fireplace. They were the most expensive thing in the room but I’m so glad we splurged!

September 18, 2012_11731

Our little clock we bought in Virginia.

September 18, 2012_11737

Matt put up “crown molding.” It’s really a bendable plastic-type material chair rail that has a thousand little nails to keep it against the wall.

September 18, 2012_11745

Another strip was needed along the bottom of the baseboards.

September 18, 2012_11748

We wanted there to be an unnecessary amount of pillows on the bed.

September 18, 2012_11751

And the softest throw we could find.

September 18, 2012_11754

These drapes were not an easy task. We looked at tons of different styles, bought a few to try out, took back hundreds of dollar’s worth, to find just the right ones. I think we made the right choice. There are some sheer drapes underneath so the light can still come through without feeling like you’re in a fish bowl.

September 18, 2012_11760

A few local chocolates for our guests.

September 22, 2012_12214

And some light reading about the area.

September 22, 2012_12216

I saved the best for last. This dresser is no ordinary dresser…

September 18, 2012_11736

It’s really a mini bar (free of charge!) stocked with tons of things for our guests to nibble on or drink. And anything they may have forgotten to bring on their journey.

September 22, 2012_12223

Our guest room has come a long way. I’m so happy with how it turned out – a cozy oasis for our family and friends willing to make the long trek to see us. Just a little way for us to show our thanks.

September 18, 2012_11717

4 comments:

Ann said...

I kept forgetting about the mini bar, I didn't get to take advantage of it. :( It is a super nice room. It's really fun to see you guys making your house your home. :)

Christen said...

I am so behind -- CONGRATS on the house! I am in love with those chairs and there is no chance of that stash staying stocked if I were around! :) Nice work!

Brittany said...

The room looks awesome and so cozy that I want to come stay! :) I agree with Christen, I love those chairs. Were those TJMaxx?

Carlee said...

Wow that room looks great! I LOVE your owls. I think I'll need to check out those stores you mentioned in search of some!