An ultrasound Thursday morning revealed the amniotic fluid levels were really low. We were told to go straight to the hospital. It was a bit of a shock moment and we made our way across the street to the hospital to get into a room and get ready to meet our little girl. After I was set up with the monitors Matt left to take Lily to a neighbor’s house and grab our bags.
And then the waiting began. We passed the time by watching TV, Matt downloaded a game to the laptop, and we strolled the halls with my “buddy” Mr. IV. By the time 3:00 came I was so hungry, nervous, excited, you name it. It was hard to believe we were going to have two kids by the end of the day. And that I didn’t have to go through any labor to get her here.
While we were making final preparations to go into surgery Emma’s heart rate dropped so I had to have some oxygen to help her. The nurses had me roll over on my sides multiple times and finally her heart rate went back up. They rolled my bed into the operating room –normally I would walk myself there but because of the heart rate issue they decided to keep me laying down.
Preparations were made, Matt joined me in the operating room, and within a few minutes I heard the first cry of our little girl. She was taken to the table and given oxygen.
She continued to cry the whole time the nurses were cleaning her off. She had quite a set of lungs!
Her Newborn Stats:
Weight: 4 lbs 15oz (1%)
Height: 17 3/4 inches (2%)
Head: ?? (8%) (Matt didn’t remember what the measurement was but remembered the percentile)
Because of her small weight, being breech, and the low fluids, I was just waiting for them to tell me that something was wrong. The only issue our little one had was keeping her temperature regulated. The nurses put her in a preemie outfit and we had lots of skin-to-skin time to help her stay warm.
Meeting her big sister. Lily instantly seemed so big when we saw her next to her tiny baby sister.
Baby sister brought Lily a new toy. She and Matt didn’t waste any time breaking it open and playing with it.
Trying on Emma’s hat. It’s a bit of a tight squeeze!
Grandma and Grandpa Burk braved the snowy, icy drive from Utah to be here as soon as they could. They even spun out on the icy road and ended up on the wrong side! We’re so glad they arrived safely after their fifteen hour drive through the back roads of Colorado.
We stayed in the hospital for a couple days and went home on Christmas Eve. The hospital staff were eager to get us out of there in time for the holiday. We took a few walks down the halls of the hospital and found that almost all the rooms were empty. Not sure if we were really ready to take on the task of taking a tiny newborn home but I definitely wanted to sleep in my own bed.
Emma’s Discharge Weight: 4 lbs 7 oz


3 comments:
She's so tiny and beautiful! I felt like I was reading Makenna's birth story when I read this; low fluids, breech, tiny-tiny girl! So worth it, though. (Doesn't Lily look like such a grown-up girl next to her new sis?)
Congratulations to you guys!
I love birth stories! She's so sweet and so tiny. I'm so glad you are all doing well. Love ya lots, give your girls a kiss and a hug from us.
She is beautiful! When we had our 2nd child we got a gift for our first too. It helped her feel special. I don't think I have ever seen you dad so scruffy! Glad they were watched over through their travels!
Post a Comment